About Me

My photo
I grew up and still reside in the Puget Sound region of Washington State in the beautiful Pacific Northwest where I have always shared a love of the outdoors with a hidden passion for photography. In 2009, after years of sitting at a desk, I escaped from my cubicle so I could spend more time working behind the camera. My new office is a Jeep and I can typically be found scouting locations on the road or on a life-changing journey such as the 42-day, 6,700 mile road trip I took in the fall of 2010 down the Pacific Coast and over to the Grand Canyon. Completely self-taught, my photographic vision stems from an adventurous spirit, overactive imagination and naturally restless soul that are constantly evolving through discovery and execution. My primary interests are landscapes and nature but honestly, I'll shoot anything that catches my eye. I’m proud to display my view of the world within. I hope you like what I’ve done with the place.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Desert Bound

So it was about a week ago last year that I embarked on a journey that would literally change my life. On September 17, 2010 I set off in my 2005 Jeep Wrangler on what turned out to be a 6,700 mile, 45-day road trip which followed the west coast from Port Angeles, WA to San Diego, CA. From there I traveled east to Phoenix then north to what was the primary destination and the reason for the entire trip…The Grand Canyon! I had never been there before. It is the most amazing place I’ve ever been so far. I’m sure most of you remember me posting photos on Facebook almost daily as I progressed. It was during that trip that I decided photography was going to be a big part of my life…that I wanted to do it professionally if I could. After I arrived home, I immediately put together a plan on how to make this happen.
It’s been a ton of work but I’ve loved every second of it. In addition to shooting and editing photos, my website is up and I think it looks great. I have a blog hardly anyone follows. =) I have a Facebook fan page (and fans! Yay!) and a Twitter account...it’s amazing I get any time to take pictures. There’s still a long way to go but it I look forward to all of it.

The tough part is the sacrifices. I don’t make much money from my photography. A little…but not nearly enough to keep me in the lifestyle to which I have become accustomed. I expect that to change as I do more portrait and event work but I don't want it to be about the money. That's not why I do this. So this week I made two decisions about some things I have been considering for awhile now. I have decided to sell my awesome house on the lake. No worries. It’s my only financial liability so it’s kind of a no-brainer. I will miss it but I’m not agonizing over it. Living on a lake in Washington State is the same as owning a convertible, motorcycle or ski-boat…you get to enjoy them 2-3 months out of the year and then you just stare at it the rest of the time.
I had planned on moving back to my townhouse that I own in Bothell where I could live a simple existence that would also give me the ability to concentrate on photography full-time. Then a thought crept into my head and that led to decision #2…

I love Washington! I’ve lived here my entire life. In fact, I’ve always lived within 25 miles of the home I grew up in…most of my family is here…many of my friends are here. But I am restless and I don’t think there is any better time than right now for a big change. Hence, I am moving to Phoenix, AZ.
Sedona Desert Lightning
I fell in love with Arizona when I traveled through last year. I can’t wait to live there. The heat…the desert…the photo ops…the economics…there’s even a NASCAR track! I can’t wait to revisit Sedona and Jerome and of course…The Grand Canyon! The entire state is a photographer’s paradise!

So as I told my friends and family when I told them the news, don’t be sad I’m leaving. I’m doing this so I can continue to do what I love to do.

Aloha!

Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment